Sunday, March 15, 2009

Confession #4, I'm not in it for the money

I'm not saying that I don't make money making jewelry, I have to. If I didn't I wouldn't be able to keep making jewelry! I do it because I can't stop, and believe me I've tried. Over the many years that I've been doing this I've tried to give it up. I sold off all of my tools and beads and closed shop only to buy all new supplies a year or two later. I finally realized that making jewelry is part of who I am and that it's something that I really enjoy.

When I am at my parents house I love to take a stroll down memory lane by going through my mom's jewelry box. It is a gallery to my work. She has been my best customer as well as the largest recipient of gifts that I have made, and she has kept every one. She even wore one of my necklaces to my wedding and so did my sister. I love being able to give the work I do to friends and family members as gifts. The only reason I own any of my own work is because my mother in law likes to buy jewelry from me for me for Christmas! Otherwise I tend not to keep any of my own work because I think, what if someone else would love this piece more than I do?

I don't do it for the money, I make jewelry because if I didn't, who would I be?

No comments:

Post a Comment